Skip to main content

Oahu, Hawaii {Day 4 & 5}

I had been mooching off of someone else's rental car the whole trip, but on Friday afternoon, I got my own rental to keep until I left on Sunday.  I decided that the trip wouldn't be complete without the ability to drive around the island in a convertible...
I woke up on Saturday morning, pulled my hair into a high bun, put on my swimsuit, cover-up, and sunscreen, and hit the road.
I drove the same roads I had already been on, but with the top down, you could see so much more and take in the smells (for example, I discovered that when you are driving next to coffee fields, you can actually smell the coffee).  Of course it enables me to have a much easier time being the nut who is shooting pics as I drive.




I had a plan to head toward the north shore again.  Which meant stopping at the Dole Plantation for a Dole Whip Float (#3) for breakfast.  I wanted to go lay on the beach where they had filmed some of Lost, but first, I went the other direction because I wanted to see if the waves had calmed enough for the sea turtles to come on shore (they hadn't).  

This is where you turn in for the Waimea Falls
Waimea Bay Beach


Then I drove back to Hale'iwa, where I hit some shops, and had lunch.


I had a sandwich and plantation punch (ice tea and pineapple juice...yum)...
I tried to go find that beach, but couldn't find anywhere to park to get to it, so I abandoned that plan and headed back to the Laie Beach, which I had stopped at for a few minutes a few days before.

It was perfect!   Not crowded...
the water was pretty warm...
a beautiful view...
and a great place to soak up the sun and read.
I stayed on the beach for a few hours, but I forgot to bring my sunscreen so I could reapply it.  Before I got fried, I decided to go back toward Waikiki.


I took the Pali Highway so I could stop at this lookout...



Remember I mentioned in a previous post that Kamehameha I had united the islands?

Well, this is where it happened.  The Battle of Nu'uanu...where he drove the enemy right off this cliff.


I didn't bring my leis home because they were getting pretty droopy, but they had made my room pretty, and made it smell awesome, for the whole trip.
These are some pics I took of Waikiki and Diamond Head from the plane...





I got home late on Sunday night.  When the plane landed, it was snowing.  Talk about a quick reality check!  I about froze getting to my car, and then the roads were very slick getting home.  Luckily, I slid across every bridge getting home, but I made it home without incident.

I was happy to be reunited with my sweet Lola, and she is a big fan of her Dole puppy pineapple!

Comments

Suzanna Cooper said…
Amazing pics! So glad you got the convertible!

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo